Another Special Moment for Father-Son Duo During Long Beach Island 18 Mile Run

By DAVID BIGGY | Oct 11, 2017
Photo by: David Biggy Kyle Price finishes first in the 45th annual Long Beach Island Commemorative 18 Mile Run on Oct. 8.

Many dads are coaches of their sons’ sports teams at some point in life. But for Jeremy Haugh, much of the time spent with his son, Jeremiah, occurs while running. Well, Jeremy runs. Jeremiah is pushed along in a jogger cart.

“Jeremiah is 14 and has global development delays,” said the 44-year-old U.S. Army JAG (Judge Advocate General’s) Corps officer from Alexandria, Va., who along with his wife, Marianne, and two younger children spend a summer week in Barnegat Light every year. “He walks a little bit on his own, talks some on his own, but he’s not able to run a race or play basketball or soccer like most others kids can do. So this is like his sport and this has always been what we do together.”

On Oct. 8, the father-son duo were first-timers to the course and completed the Long Beach Island Commemorative 18 Mile Run in just under two hours, 40 minutes – nowhere near the front of the 457-runner field in 85th place – and from start to finish had a blast doing it.

“There’s a lot Jeremiah can do, but it’s not this kind of stuff,” said Jeremy, who regularly trains for his long-distance runs, particularly the Baltimore Marathon, while pushing Jeremiah. “So this is fun for him. He gets to ride in the jogger and hear the people cheer for him. He loves being out there, waving at people and having fun. And it’s great. We really enjoy that time together.”

Another guy having an enjoyable time was Milltown’s Kyle Price, this year’s winner in 1:43:23.63. Despite 95 percent humidity, the 29-year-old easily cruised through the course at a 5:44 pace.

“I didn’t really care about the pace. I just wanted to win,” said Price, who got bombed by gull droppings right around mile 17 in Barnegat Light. “The pace was fast at the start and I passed the guy that was in front of me pretty early in the race, but I felt good so I just kept going.”

At the start, a handful of runners got out in front of the field and established the fast pace, but it wasn’t long before Price and his friend, Sean Donohue of Matawan, along with Jeffrey Young of Bryn Mawr, Pa., and Steve Vincent of West Chester, Pa., passed Martin Rodriguez of Selbyville, Del. After a few miles, separation already had begun among the lead group of runners, and by the sixth mile Price was out in front by himself.

Price gradually stretched his lead during the next few miles and by the time he left Surf City and entered North Beach, at about mile 11, his lead was nearly two minutes ahead of Donohue, who had surged into second place after Vincent bowed out halfway through the race.

But nobody was catching Price, who continued his torrid pace through Harvey Cedars and Loveladies, clearing 15 miles in about an hour, 26 minutes. Once in Barnegat Light, Price’s gap was in the four-minute range and when he crossed the finish line he was barely winded.

“It was humid, but it was good. We had a tailwind, so that helped,” he said. “I was hoping Sean and I would be running together toward the end, but he was hurting a bit so he had to pull back. But I just went for the W. I didn’t have a plan. I just wanted to run a good pace and get here first.”

Donohue finished in 1:47:27.61, followed by Young in third at 1:50:58.22, and Philadelphia’s Breandan Lyman in fourth at 1:52:48.99 and Connell McCall in fifth at 1:56:38.82. Chris Bigos of New York was sixth in 1:57:23.32, while Rodriguez placed seventh overall in 2:00:34.37 and Hamilton’s Robert Liberto took eighth in 2:02:51.67.

“I was trying to keep up with Kyle and just couldn’t do it today,” said Donohue, who was training for the Philadelphia Marathon. “I’m a cold weather kind of runner, so I don’t do well in such high humidity. The tailwind made up for the humidity, and I was pretty happy with where I was at once I settled into the race. It was a nice, flat course, point to point, and there was some good support out there.”

The first female to cross the finish line was former Point Pleasant Beach cross country star and Clemson University runner Brianna Feerst, cruising through the chute in 2:03:10.50 and ninth overall. Behind Feerst in 10th was Montclair’s Thomas Stults, who finished in 2:04:06.10.

“It’s my first time here and I’m training for the New York City Marathon,” said the 23-year-old from Brick, who now works in New York after graduating from Clemson last year. “My parents ran this race a bunch of times and they told me all about it. So I gave it a try and in the beginning it wasn’t too bad, but the tailwind helped. It was a good day. The people who were along the course were awesome. They helped me out a lot. I really liked the race, so I plan to be back.”

The second female across the line was Chesterfield’s Jessica Hart, who placed 18th overall in 2:10:55.21. She was followed by Maggie Kanak of Newtown, Pa., in 20th place at 2:12:16.17. The first local through the chute was Barnegat’s Robert Goglia, placing 16th overall in 2:09:47.48. Jon Wert of Haven Beach placed 19th in 2:11:13.12. The top local female was Barnegat resident Amy Gerbino, who finished 67th overall in 2:34:02.87.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.