Beach Haven Rallies to Help Resident Who Lost Home in Fire 

May 02, 2018

As if rebuilding her Beach Haven home after Superstorm Sandy wasn't stressful enough for Tammy Mitchell, now she has to deal with the shell of the house after it was destroyed by an early-morning fire last month.

As a result, she finds herself without a permanent home for her and her six children. In the meantime, family members are staying with friends.

Many of her friends have rallied to help her as she looks to rebuild. They set up a Go Fund Me account, which has a goal of raising $100,000.

“The Beach Haven Fire department, police, EMS workers and other first responders came together to help this family of volunteer fire fighters and police officers,” the page states.

The Beach Haven Volunteer Fire Co. recently sponsored a fundraising benefit for Mitchell and her family at Calloway’ Bar and Restaurant in Eagleswood Township.

 “We just had a fire in our area, which is always unfortunate,” said the fire company on its Facebook page. “This one, however, hit really close to home. It was the home of an active member of the company’s mother. An active member of the company’s mother-in-law. An active life member of the company’s daughter. A member of our auxiliary. A member of our community. A member of our fire family in every way possible. Her and all of her kids have helped us so much throughout the years. Please help them in their time of need.”

Mitchell said she had no homeowner’s insurance on the house since the mortgage had been paid off.

“This place dates back to my great-grandparents,” she said. “We’ve loved Beach Haven, and I am so thankful for all the people who have helped.”

She and her 18-year-old daughter were in the home when the fire broke out at 4 a.m. The cause of the fire is believed to be electrical.

“She also had two dogs,” said Sandy Close, her sister who lives next door. “The larger dog was able to get out, but a smaller one hid under a bed. Firefighters found her hiding inside and were able to revive her. She was probably hiding for several hours. It’s miraculous that she survived.”

Close said a phone call from her mother woke her up shortly after 4 a.m.

“I looked out and I could see thick smoke billowing out of the doors,” she said. “After all she went through following Sandy, to have this happen to her is really heartbreaking.”   

People interested in donating can log onto

— Eric Englund

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.