Harvey Cedars House Tour Scheduled July 18

Jul 09, 2018

Three homes and the Harvey Cedars Bible Conference, all in Harvey Cedars, will be featured in a historic house walking tour Wednesday, July 18, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. The oldest home is the residence of Bob and Cyndi Smith, 9 West Lee Ave. It was one of several side-by-side duplexes when it was initially built and then converted into a single-family home. The Smiths bought the house in 1990.

Also featured are the homes of Vera and Jim Louden at 8 East 83rd St. and of John Collier, 8303 Bay Terrace.

Built in 1933, the Louden home has many of the original features on the east side of the residence. In the 1960s, it was owned by Richard Wurman, who was responsible for painting the Benjamin Franklin Bridge blue for the Bicentennial.

Built in 1938, the Collier home has changed little since the family bought it 60 years ago. The home offers views in all directions from the decks. Reshingling is underway, and rotted windows have been replaced.

The Bible Conference dates back to 1848, when it was built as a boarding house and later became the Harvey Cedars Hotel. Today, the old hotel building still stands, making it the last of the grand hotel buildings in existence on the Island.

In the 1930s, it was sold to the Philadelphia YMCA and became Camp Whelan. It opened as a conference in 1941 under the direction of Philadelphia-area evangelist Jack Murray.

Tickets for the tour are $20 per person and can be purchased at borough hall. Restroom facilities and refreshments will be available at the High Point Firehouse on West 80th Street.

For information, call the borough clerk’s office at 609-361-6000, extension 112, or the Harvey Cedars Activities Committee at 609-361-7990. E.E.

 

.

 

 

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.