Man Charged With Drunken Boating After Crashing Through Bulkhead

More Delay for Opening Bay Park in Tuckerton
Jul 10, 2018
Photo by: Pat Johnson PILOT ERROR: A stolen boat rammed into a new bulkhead on July 4, damaging the Tuckerton borough property at South Green Street.

People were already upset with the delay in opening the South Green Street Park in Tuckerton. Now there is a big hole in one of the new bulkheads due to a boat collision.

“I woke up July 5 and saw the email, ‘You’re not going to believe this,’ and the picture. It is very disheartening,” Tuckerton Mayor Sue Marshall said on Tuesday.

Just before midnight on the 4th of July, a Stafford Township man allegedly stole a boat from Total Marine Marina on Great Bay Boulevard and in escaping, ran into the northwest corner of the new bulkhead, making a boat-sized hole.

Kevin Bacorn, 32, of Manahawkin has been charged with the crime, said State Police spokesman Major Brian Polite.

Little Egg Harbor police called State Marine Police troopers in Point Pleasant about a boat that had run aground and was abandoned. “When the state police arrived on the scene, the suspect was found hiding under a residence,” said Polite. “He was taken to the Tuckerton Station to be interviewed, and as a result of that interview, he was charged with criminal trespass, theft and operating a boat while intoxicated.”

According to the Tuckerton Volunteer Fire Company Facebook page, West Tuckerton firefighters used thermal imaging cameras to spot the man hiding under the deck of an abandoned house on South Green Street.

Tuckerton Engine 50-21 and Rescue 50-23 also responded to the boating accident.

Although the park was “99 percent complete,” as stated by Tuckerton Councilman Ron Peterson at the July 2 municipal meeting, this hole in the bulkhead will now also have to be addressed before the park can open.

Business Administrator Jenny Gleghorn is working to assess whose insurance company will pay for the damages, said Marshall.

“The project has not yet been turned over to us from the contractor,” said Marshall. “We have to worry about liability,” she said, as to why the park remains closed.

On Sunday, July 8, people had walked into the park despite the closed signs and a closed gate, and were fishing and crabbing from the bulkhead and new fishing pier. But on Monday, several “No Trespassing” signs were posted with “Violators will be Prosecuted” warnings.

Marshall said she wasn’t sure if they were put up by the contractor, K&G Marine, or by the borough.

“We have to err on the side of safety. Even though everyone is wanting to use the park, we have to make it safe,” the mayor said.


Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.