Retired Little Egg Police Dog Dies

Feb 14, 2018
Supplied Photo Tag rides high in the heyday of his career as a K-9 officer with the Little Egg Harbor Police Department.

A dog who retired as a K-9 officer in the Little Egg Harbor Police Department died this past week from natural causes.

“Tag passed away early this morning in the arms of his K-9 handler Little Egg Harbor Twp. Police Officer Tonya Anderson,” the department said in a statement. “Tag was a member of the Little Egg Harbor Twp. Police Department where he served for 10 years, retiring this past July. Tag was an asset to the Little Egg Harbor Twp. Police Department and community. Tag will be deeply missed by his co-workers and township residents, R.I.P. Tag.”

Anderson said K-9 Tag was a 12-year-old Belgian Malinois born in Germany. She purchased and imported him in November 2007 and began his training. Tag was a certified dual-purpose police K-9 used for patrol and narcotic detection and was responsible for the successful tracking and apprehension of burglary suspects, locating missing/endangered persons, recovery of evidence and stolen items, and countless drug arrests.

After Tag retired in July 2017, he still made a few public appearances, said Anderson. “He was always a crowd-pleaser and loved to meet and greet children at public events like National Night Out.”

Anderson said Tag suddenly became ill and collapsed early in January and was rushed to the emergency vet in Red Bank, where he went into cardiac arrest. CPR was initiated and he was successfully revived, but the vets discovered fluid in his heart chamber. They were able to drain it and stabilize him. The likely diagnosis was found to be hemangiosarcoma, an aggressive form of cancer common in dogs his age and breed.

“Tag was brought home and lived the last 10 days of his life like a king. I cooked his meals three times a day and he enjoyed lounging around on the couch, snuggling with me and playing with his favorite ball,” said Anderson. “He suffered a second episode of collapse six days after the initial emergency and I was able to get him to the emergency vet quickly again. They tapped his chest and he again rebounded amazingly. Only four days later, he suffered another collapse and unfortunately died in my arms at home as I was attempting to load him up and take him back to the vet. He was truly an amazing partner and will never be forgotten.”  —P.J.


Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.