Tuckerton Historical Society Talk on the Tuckerton Wireless

Aug 02, 2017
Photo by: supplied The anchor of the guy wire in a concrete block.

At one time, the 850-foot-high intercontinental wireless antenna known as the Tuckerton Wireless was the most sophisticated communication system and the second tallest structure in the world when it was completed in 1912. It was located on Hickory Island in what is known today as the housing development of Mystic Island, in Little Egg Harbor Township. The mystery in Mystic Island may have come from the questions new home-buyers asked about the huge concrete blocks that bisected a couple of intersections. These were the anchors to hold the giant tower in place. Today, these are all that is left on site.

On Saturday, Aug. 19, Tuckerton Historical Society Vice President John Yates will give a talk and slide show about the wireless at 2 p.m. in the Giffordtown Schoolhouse Museum, 35 Leitz Blvd. in Little Egg Harbor.

The museum is home to the biggest collection of artifacts from the tower and the radio industry, including the wireless base resting on the lawn like a giant badminton shuttlecock.

The event is free, but donations to the museum are always welcome. —P.J.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.