Tuckerton’s South Green Street Park Progressing

Jun 06, 2018
Photo by: Pat Johnson South Green Street Park is ready for paving.

If the weather permits, Tuckerton’s South Green Street Park could be paved as early as June 15. Tuckerton Councilman Ron Peterson said the park was flooded during the last nor’easter and high tide cycle Sunday, June 3, but the construction crew had pushed the water out and laid the R-blend (substrate) on Monday.

“They should be able to blacktop by the end of next week and then put down the clam shell (in other parts of the park). The playground material is fantastic; I think if anyone falls they would bounce!” he said. The reconstruction of the park is being paid for through a $1.4 million Superstorm Sandy Resiliency grant.

The mayor and council accepted the resignation of Deputy Clerk Misty La Manna effective June 15, “with regrets.” La Manna is leaving to take a position with the Ocean County Superior Court.

Deputy Mayor Sam Colangelo announced the shredding truck is scheduled to be in Eagleswood Township on Saturday, June 9, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mayor Sue Marshall thanked public works for sprucing up the town for Memorial Day with flags and flowers.

Councilwoman Doris Mathisen said the addition and renovation of the new borough hall at 420 Main St. are nearing completion. The sound system is being worked on, and a fence still needs to be installed. Mathisen also said she is not running for re-election for this November.

The Tuckerton Police Department’s report for May found there were 359 calls for service, and 26 arrests were made; 169 motor vehicle stops resulted in 103 summonses. There were 11 motor vehicle accidents and 31 calls for medical assistance.

In the court report for the same month, the municipal court disposed of 39 criminal complaints and 132 moving violations, garnering $8,055 for Tuckerton in fines.

Councilman Mike Santo said the Tuckerton Volunteer Fire Co. responded to six fire calls and 19 EMS calls in the borough plus one to cover for Great Bay Regional EMS. It also facilitated four training drills.

The borough met with its attorney, Christopher J. Connors, for a brief executive session to discuss litigation between MTGLQ, Eric Hnyda and the town.

During public comment, a number of Curlew Road residents rose to complain about the tidal flooding of their street on Sunday.

“It’s a running joke on our street that we can’t get the boat out during low tide and can’t get the car out during high tide,” said Richard Piaseski. Piaseski inquired whether the road will be crowned when it is repaved next year. He also asked why the project had taken so long to come to fruition; he stated it had been proposed in 2010. He seemed to have forgotten the fact that Superstorm Sandy happened in 2012 and had done extensive damage throughout Tuckerton Beach and other parts of the town and the massive cleanup and administrative duties that followed.

Business Administrator Jenny Gleghorn said the borough had applied for the maximum grant of $225,000 for Curlew, which was received in 2016, and then also applied for the same project in 2017 and had just received another $225,000 from the state Department of Transportation. The money must be spent on Curlew.

Councilman John Schwartz said he would talk with the borough’s engineers, Owen and Little, about the dip in the road and whether they are planning to raise it; he felt they would.

Marine Street resident Skip Deckman accused the borough of hiding information from him pertaining to bonding for the improvements and renovations to the new borough hall. At the last municipal meeting, he said he had read through four years of borough meeting minutes and couldn’t get a clear picture of the debt. He also said a copy of the $1.5 million grant from the state Economic Development Association appears to be a loan, not a grant.

Gleghorn said the borough has to go through the motions of bonding for the line item to be included in the budget so it can pay the construction company. But the money is not part of the borough’s debt because the EDA has “forgiven” the loan, which means it has been turned into a grant, as was planned all along.

After the meeting, Gleghorn said she did not yet have the close-out figures for how much in capital funds the borough would be paying that is not part of grants she has obtained. “I’m still getting a grant for the generator” because the project is not done yet. She made a “guesstimate’”of not more than $100,000 in total.

— Pat Johnson


Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.