Worker Suffers Severe Burns in Kitchen Accident

Jul 12, 2017

An employee of the Engleside Inn in Beach Haven suffered multiple burns when a can of synthetic butter ignited and exploded while he was spraying a grill in the restaurant’s kitchen on Saturday night, July 8.

Police Lt. Tom Medel said the 29-year-old Little Egg Harbor Township resident, whose name has not been released by authorities, suffered second- and third-degree burns to his left arm and first-degree burns to his right arm when the can exploded about 8 p.m.

His head and hair were also burned, Medel said. “It was a total freak accident.”

Medel said the victim was taken by medevac helicopter to the burn unit at Temple University Hospital in Philadelphia. He said there were initial concerns that he might have inhaled some of the exploded contents which could have resulted in serious internal burns as well.

“This was looked at as a life-threatening situation,” the officer said.

As of Tuesday, Medel said he did not know about the victim’s current condition.  —E.E.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.